Here is what I do to get notified about the exact location of nearby rare Pokémon that spawn around my chosen location. The solution uses the IFTTT app, available both on Android and iPhone.
Every Pokémon trainer in Singapore knows about the map of Pokémon spawns in Singapore. Many call it cheating, but where to draw the line? After all the original tracker in Pokémon Go allowed to really hunt down Pokémon that showed up in the tracker. The current Nearby feature only gives information about Pokémon close to Pokéstops in the vicinity, but remains silent when you walk past a Lapras.
The SGPokemap Twitter account announces every rare Pokémon spawn in Singapore, currently Venusaur, Charizard, Blastoise, Arcanine, Alakazam, Machamp, Muk, Exeggutor, Hitmonlee, Hitmonchan, Golem, Rhydon, Lickitung, Chansey, Gyarados, Rhydon, Golem, Lapras, Vaporeon, Jolteon, Flareon, Porygon, Aerodactyl, Snorlax and Dragonite.
While it is perfectly possible to follow the account with your Twitter app and get notifications, it will drive you nuts. There are just too many of them and it hurts to be too far away to chase the pokes. Solution: use the IFTTT app to filter the notifications and be notified only of specific spawns in your neighborhood.
Procedure to get notified of nearby rare Pokémon
Do the following:
- Create a Twitter account or simply use your existing one;
- Create an IFTTT account or again, re-use your existing one;
- Install the IFTTT app from the App Store or Google Play;
- Open the app and click on [My Applets];
- Click on the [Plus sign] to create a new applet;
- Click on [+this] to create the condition;
- Choose the Twitter service in the Applet maker;
- The app will now ask to perform a few steps to link to your Twitter account, just follow those steps
- Choose [New Tweet from Search]
- Enter the following in the Complete Trigger screen as search condition:
- The above will search for any tweet by epicsgpokemon that contains the keyword Bedok. You can fine-tune the search by using Twitter’s search operators. Example, you want everything related to the Bedok area, but not if it is about a Lickitung or an Exeggutor:
from:epicsgpokemon Bedok -Lickitung -Exeggutor
- Double-check the expected result by entering the search string in Twitter Search;
- Confirm the operation;
- Click on [+that] to create the service;
- Search for and select [Notifications];
- Select the action [Send a notification];
- Confirm the choice.
That’s it! Go catch those previously undetected nearby rare Pokémon!